RESEARCH LOCOMOTIVE AND TRAIN HANDLING EVALUATOR DEFINITION-CONCEPT 2
This report analyzes the technical and research requirements of an evaluator to evaluate human factors involved in railroad train handling. North American and British accident statistics are reviewed to determine how human actions relate to train accidents. From these statistics evaluator experiments are defined which will produce data that will be useful in making train operations more safe. An investigation is made of modern simulation technology to establish the level of operational realism that can be provided in a evaluator to support the defined experimental research. Where multiple technical approaches were found to a given evaluator requirement a summary trade-off report is made. It was found that present art will permit the construction of an evaluator to perform extensive research into human factors related to train handling practices. Research goals are divided into three areas of evaluator testing: basic research into train handling techniques, evaluation of train handling practices, displays and controls, and investigations of train accidents.
- Prepared in conjunction with Grumman Aerospace Corporation and Transmark for U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Research and Development, Washington, D.C. See also Volume 1, PB-276492, also available in set of 3 reports PC E11, PB-276490-SET.
Turpin Systems Company16611 Roscoe Place
Sepulveda, CA USA 91343
Grumman Aerospace Corp.Bethpage, NY USA
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1977-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 574 p.
- TRT Terms: Cost estimating; Development; Estimates; Human factors; Locomotive engineers; Locomotive operation; Railroad simulators; Research; Safety; Simulation; Train operations; Training simulators
- Identifier Terms: Transportation Technology Center
- Uncontrolled Terms: Research and development
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive engineer's tasks
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00170066
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-77/55 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-64192
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 30 1978 12:00AM