TRAIN-TO-TRAIN REAR END IMPACT TESTS--VOLUME II--IMPACT TEST SUMMARIES
This final report documents these nine tests. Volume I, Pre-Impact Determination of Vehicle Properties, summarizes the vehicle properties obtained prior to the impact tests. These vehicle properties were used in computer simulation of the impact tests and included weights, pitch moments of inertia, force deflection characteristics, vertical center of gravity location, and linear dimensions. Volume II, Impact Test Summaries, describes the impact tests. The impact tests were remotely controlled with impact speeds ranging from 3 to 30 mph. An array of approximately 20 high-speed cameras and 50 channels of data, including accelerations, strains, and displacement, documented the impacts. Volume III, Impact Test Summaries Appendix, is an appendix to Volume II. It contains the original data of the impact test.
- Record URL:
- See also Volume 1, PB-274416 and Volume 3, PB-274418, RRIS 02 170056 and 170058 respectively; RRIS Bulletin 7801. U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Research and Development, Washignton, D.C. Also available in set of 3 reports PC E10, PB-274415-SET.
Ultrasystems, IncorporatedDynamic Science Division, 1850 West Pinnacle Peak Road
Phoenix, AZ United States 85027
Washington, DC United States 20590
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Anderson, R L
- Cramer, P L
- Publication Date: 1977-3
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 124 p.
- TRT Terms: Cabooses; Cabs (Vehicle compartments); Crashes; Crashworthiness; Data collection; Locomotives; Measuring instruments; Rear end crashes; Safety; Tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Impact vulnerability; Locomotive cab safety
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00170057
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-76/303, II Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-840-2
- Files: NTIS, NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 30 1978 12:00AM