MARITIME SATELLITE NAVIGATION/COMMUICATION PROGRAM. VOLUME II. EXPERIMENTAL SYSTEM DESCRIPTION
Volume II provides a description of the design and operational features of the experimental Maritime Satellite Communication and Navigation (marscan) system. The system consists of (1) a Maritime Coordination Center (MCC) located at the National Maritime Research Center (NMRC), Kings Point, New York, (2) earth stations for communication with the two satellites used in the system, (3) the Nasa Ats-5 and Ats-3 synchronous equatorial satellites providing C-band transponders for relaying Rf signals, (4) the ship terminals located on U.S. merchant ships plying the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and (5) user terminals linked with the MCC through data phone land lines. This system provided the means for conducting communication and navigation experiments in an operational environment.
- See also Volume 1, COM-74-10689 and Volume 3, COM-74-10691.
AII SystemsMoorestown, NJ USA
- Publication Date: 1973-11-15
- Pagination: 247 p.
- TRT Terms: Communication systems; Communications satellites; Navigation systems; Navigational satellites; Radio navigation; Satellite communication; Satellite navigation systems
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00170052
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Aii-Mar594-R-023-2 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 7 1978 12:00AM