ENGINEERING AND DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM PLAN - WIND SHEAR
This is a development plan for solutions to the aviation hazards created by low-level wind shear in the terminal area. It describes the four-year development program to satisfy National Airspace System (NAS) user needs for current and predicted information concerning wind shear at the Nation's airports. Included in the plan are: (1) efforts to better characterize low-level wind shear, (2) plans to define the hazards of wind shear for the aviation community, (3) tasks required to develop ground-based devices for hazardous wind shear detection and movement, (4) investigations into the use of airborne equipment to detect hazardous wind shear and then either warn the pilot of its presence and/or assist him in coping with it, (5) a description of how the data collected on wind shear will be processed, analyzed and reported, (6) plans to improve low-level wind shear predictions are presented, and (7) provisions for integrating wind shear data into the NAS by developing data formats and displays suitable to users (air traffic controllers, pilots and the National Weather Service). The FAA groups and other Federal Government agencies participating in this effort are identified. Program management responsibilities are addressed. A program schedule with milestones is presented and program funding requirements are identified. (Author)
- Supersedes rept. no. FAA-ED-15-2, dated Mar 76, AD-A025 511.
Washington, DC United States
- Publication Date: 1977-8
- Pagination: 81 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic control; Air transportation crashes; Airborne navigational aids; Airports; Aviation safety; Crash investigation; Detection and identification; Detectors; Doppler radar; Equipment; Forecasting; Information display systems; Landing; Takeoff; Warning systems; Weather forecasting; Wind shear
- Old TRIS Terms: Airborne warning and control system; Aircraft landing; Displays; Weather communication
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00169735
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-ED-15-2A
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM