FEASIBILITY STUDY OF UTILIZATION OF COAL MINE REFUSE, ESTILL COUNTY, KENTUCKY
Reported is a feasibility study of commercial utilization for Eastern KY coal mine refuse at the South-East Coal Co. Cleaning plant in Estill County, KY. Included are descriptions of the physical facilities, sampling and testing methodology, geotechnical properties analyses, typical coal analyses, mineralogical characterizations, slow and quick firing test results, general marketing review of products, and environmental aspects. A good potential for economic development in Estill County exists with the anticipated uses of coal mine refuse as a raw material for the production of construction materials, particularly sintered lightweight aggregate. The refuse responded to the sintering process and a high quality, lightweight product was produced. The aggregate performed well in structural concrete and bituminous surfacing mixes. Other potential uses would be for lightweight concrete masonry blocks and soilless growing media. Inherent characteristics of the sintered material would provide for highly skid-resistant road surfacing aggregate and highly insulative structural building products. Market research results point to definitely feasible markets in East and East-Central KY and to the need for extensive, intensive marketing programs for commercial success of the proposed products. (Portions of this document are not fully legible)
- Prepared in cooperation with Bluegrass Area Development District, Inc., Lexington, Ky.
Kentucky Research FoundationKentucky University, Bowman Hall
Lexington, KY United States 40506
Bluegrass Area Development District, Incorporated120 East Reynolds Road
Lexington, KY United States 40503
Appalachian Regional Commission1666 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20235
- Publication Date: 1976-8
- Pagination: 307 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Bituminous materials; Building materials; Chemical analysis; Chemical properties; Coal mines; Coal mining; Concrete; Economics; Environmental impacts; Feasibility analysis; Geotechnical engineering; Land reclamation; Lightweight aggregates; Marketing; Mineralogy; Physical properties; Recycling; Refuse; Sampling; Shear tests; Soil chemistry; Solid waste disposal; Spoil; Surface treating; Tables (Data); Terminations; Testing; Utilization
- Old TRIS Terms: Bituminous surfacing; Coal cleaning; Reclamation; Soil analysis
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Research;
- Accession Number: 00169646
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: ARC-74-217-KY-3685 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: ARC-74-217/KY-3685
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM