LABORATORY EVALUATION OF 4-3/4-INCH FLASH-WELDED ALLOY STEEL STUD LINK ANCHOR CHAIN
The present report contains the results of a laboratory evaluation of four samples of 4-3/4-inch flash-welded anchor chain. Although the manufacturers of the four chain samples were not required to follow the Interim Specification guidelines and procedures precisely, their current practices are in very close accord with those delineated in the Specification and the samples can be considered truly representative. The major program effort involved evaluation of the samples in accordance with the metallurgical, nondestructive, and mechanical testing requirements as set forth in the Specification. The primary objective was to determine whether the 4-3/4-inch flash-welded anchor chain currently produced by these manufacturers would meet Navy requirements. It was concluded that it would. However, it was also determined that the Specification needed some minor modifications, e.g., revision of the procedure for obtaining some of the metallurgical specimens and eliminating the requirement for ultrasonic testing of the flash-welded area of each chain link. It was recommended that the ultrasonic testing requirement be elminated since several other nondestructive and metallurgical tests called for in the Specification reveal the same types of defects for which the ultrasonic tests were intended.
Battelle Columbus LaboratoriesTactical Technology Center
Columbus, OH USA 43201
- Doerschuk, D C
- EIBER, R J
- Groeneveld, T P
- Publication Date: 1977-8
- Pagination: 83 p.
- TRT Terms: Anchors (Mooring devices); Butt welds; Chains; Costs; Defects; Links (Networks); Nondestructive tests; Specifications; Steel; Structural deterioration and defects; Structural members; Studs
- Uncontrolled Terms: Linkages
- Old TRIS Terms: Anchor chains; Flash welding; Flash welds
- Subject Areas: Finance; Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00169462
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NAVSEA-1-1 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DAAK40-73-C-0142
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM