RESEARCH ON MANNED SYSTEM DESIGN USING OPERATOR MEASURES AND CRITERIA (OMAC) DATA
In manned systems, performance can change significantly with changes in display design. With today's computer and display technology, it is possible to provide virtually any display function desired including automating many of the information processing tasks previously performed by the human operator. However, the relationship between display design and total system (people and machine) performance must be known in order to systematically select display features. The object of this research program was to investigate system performance models for ship control as an aid to ship display and control design. A human operator model, which represents the total system response by identifying the criteria optimized by that response, was developed to represent the ship control performance of the Officer of the Deck (OOD). In addition, a sensitive contact (ship) avoidance measure was developed which detects conditions leading to ship collisions and near collisions. OMAC models representing performance obtained with each display design reveal that performance differences are explained by differences in a constraint self-imposed by the operator to select only a portion of the display information in order to control the ship. Constraint differences are equivalent to differences in the amount of information processed by the OOD with each display design.
Omnemii IncorporatedVienna, VA United States
- Connelly, E M
- Publication Date: 1977-7-31
- Pagination: 18 p.
- TRT Terms: Adaptive control; Command and control systems; Control; Control systems; Crash avoidance systems; Decision making; Human machine systems; Information display systems; Manning requirements; Military personnel; Personnel performance; Reaction time; Ship pilotage; Shipboard personnel; Ships; Simulation
- Old TRIS Terms: Control systems design; Human performance; Man machine communications; Performance human; Reaction psychology
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00169443
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: OTR-62-77-2 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00014-75-C-0810
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM