FIELD TESTS OF IN-SERVICE MODIFICATIONS TO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE OF AN ICEBREAKER MAIN DIESEL ENGINE
Field tests of in-service modifications to improve engine efficiency and lower the emissions were performed on the no. 3 main diesel engine of the USCGC Mackinaw (WAGB-83). This engine is a model 38D8-1/8 manufactured by Colt Industries, Fairbanks Morse Engine Division, and is rated for 2000 hp at 810 rpm. Baseline and modified engine tests were performed while the ship engaged in routine maneuvers of engine start, warm-up, docking, undocking and steady-steaming. The measurements performed included fuel consumption, smoke carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2), oxides of nitrogen (NOx), total hydrocarbons (THC), oxygen (O2), engine speed and load, as well as important engine temperatures and pressures. The engine modifications were newer style pintle type fuel injector nozzles, shimmed injection pumps and advanced injection timing. These modifications decreased fuel consumption 1% to 3% depending on speed and load, reduced CO and THC up to 43% and 88% respectively and increased NOx up to 38%. Smoke emissions decreased 50% at low-load engine conditions and 5% at high-loads.
- Availability: Microfiche copies only.
Colt IndustriesFairbanks Morse
Beloit, WI USA 53511
- Kasel, E A
- Newton, C L
- WALTER, R A
- Publication Date: 1977-8
- Pagination: 109 p.
- TRT Terms: Air quality management; Carbon dioxide; Carbon monoxide; Diesel engines; Engines; Exhaust gases; Fuel consumption; Icebreakers; Marine diesel engines; Nitric oxide; Nitrogen oxides; Nozzles; Operations; Performance; Performance tests; Pollutants; Ships; Smoke
- Uncontrolled Terms: Modifications; Operational test and evaluation
- Old TRIS Terms: Diesel performance; Exhaust nozzles; Pintles; Smoke control
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Energy; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00169422
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: TSC-USCG-77-1 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-905
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM