SCHEDULING DIAL-A-RIDE TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS: AN ASYMPTOTIC APPROACH
There has been some recent interest in the Dial-a-Ride proposal for innovative public transportation systems. These schemes ideally provide large numbers of passengers with personalized service. A passenger is taken from his origin to his destination by a small bus; the bus may deviate en-route to collect and deliver additional passengers. In such systems the central mathematical problem is one of scheduling: the assignment of a passenger to a bus and the determination of a time for the trip.
Harvard UniversityDivision of Engineering and Applied Science, 29 Oxford Street
Cambridge, MA United States 02138
- STEIN, D M
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Pagination: 142 p.
- TRT Terms: Algorithms; Combinatorial analysis; Distributions (Statistics); Optimization; Passenger vehicles; Public utilities; Scheduling; Travel time
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00169416
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: TR-670, Interim Report
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 2002 12:00AM