CASE STUDIES IN FRACTURE MECHANICS
A collection of more than thirty case studies is presented covering a wide range of practical engineering applications of fracture mechanics to design, inspection, maintenance, and failure analysis. The case studies are written by individual specialists within industry, government, and academia from the United States and Great Britain. The collection is divided into five sections corresponding to (1) Aerospace, (2) Joints and Mountings, (3) Pressure Vessels and Rotating Machinery, (4) Surface Vehicles, and (5) Materials. Most of the case studies are between twelve and fifteen pages in length and written to a standard format. The interdisciplinary nature of fracture applications is reflected in the case studies, and the reader is brought through a sequential development and solution of actual engineering problems in an interesting and economical manner. (Author)
- Includes two articles: 1) A Fracture Mechanics based Assessment of the Railway Rail Failure Problem in the U. K. in Section 4.1.1 and 2) Development of Design and Test Criteria for the Structural Integrity of Rail Vehicle Mechanical Systems in Section 4.2.1.
Army Materials and Mechanics Research CenterWatertown, MA United States 02172
- Rich, T P
- Cartwright, D J
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 471 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft; Airframes; Cracking; Dynamic tests; Engines; Failure; Fatigue (Mechanics); Fatigue tests; Fracture mechanics; Fuselages; Joints (Engineering); Machines; Materials; Military bridges; Pressure vessels; Propellers; Rail (Railroads); Rail steel; Rotors; Ships; Spacecraft; Suspension systems; Technology; Trucks; Turbines; Vehicle design; Welds
- Identifier Terms: Metroliner (Express train)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Aircraft engines; Crack propagation; Dynamic analysis; Rockets
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- Old TRIS Terms: Aerospace craft; Gun barrels; Joint; Marine propellers; Mountings; Rail failure; Rail steel metallurgy
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Design; Marine Transportation; Materials; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00169393
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: AMMRC-MS-77-5 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1979 12:00AM