SYSTEMS ANALYSIS OF RAPID TRANSIT UNDERGROUND CONSTRUCTION. VOLUME I. SECTIONS 1-5
This study describes rapid transit system implementation, design, and construction procedures. The relationships and responsibilities of governmental, private, and public groups involved in planning and implementing an urban rapid transit system are discussed. In this report, techniques and processes of cut-and-cover and tunnel construction are discussed in detail. Environmental impacts of this construction as well as safety and insurance aspects are presented. Physical and institutional controls (sensitivities) on construction are identified. Physical controls include such factors as utility density, traffic conditions, maintaining existing structure integrity, ground conditions, and weather. Institutional controls include the project schedule, right-of-way acquisition, material and equipment supply, and labor agreement and productivity.
- Prepared in cooperation with Little (Arthur D.), Inc., Cambridge, Mass. Also available as rept. no. DOT-TST-75-72.I. See also Volume 2, PB-275 568.
Bechtel Corporation50 Beale Street
San Francisco, CA USA 94119
Little (Arthur D), IncorporatedAcorn Park
Cambridge, MA USA 02140
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Birkmyer, A J
- Richardson, D L
- Publication Date: 1974-12
- Pagination: 177 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Construction; Construction management; Construction projects; Cost engineering; Costs; Cut and cover tunneling; Rapid transit; Safety engineering; Scheduling; Subways; Tunneling; Tunnels; Underground structures
- Identifier Terms: San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District; Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority
- Uncontrolled Terms: Construction costs; Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Rapid transit railways; Subway construction
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Finance; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00169298
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-75-12.IFinal Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-601
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 7 1981 12:00AM