NOISE AND TRACTION CHARACTERISTICS OF BIAS-PLY AND RADIAL TIRES FOR HEAVY DUTY TRUCKS
This joint project has established a data base of noise and traction characteristics (on wet and dry surfaces) for a sample of bias-ply and radial truck tires for heavy duty trucks. The tire sample, which included representative rib and crossbar (lug) tread patterns, was tested according to procedures similar to those specified in SAE Recommended Practice J-57a, Sound Level of Highway Truck Tires, and a variety of laboratory and over-the-road traction experiments. The study results show that for both wet and dry conditions, tires exhibiting improved traction performance are generally those whose tread patterns yield lower noise output.
- Prepared in cooperation with Michigan Univ., Ann Arbor. Highway Safety Research Inst. Sponsored in part by Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association of the United States, Inc., Detroit, Mich. See also report dated Jan 76, PB-259 926.
Department of TransportationOffice of the Secretary of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
Motor Vehicles Manufacturers Association320 New Center Building
Detroit, MI United States 48202
Highway Safety Research InstituteHuron Parkway and Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109
- Thurman, G R
- Leasure, WAJ
- Publication Date: 1977-10
- Pagination: 137 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Braking; Databases; Dryness; Heavy vehicles; Moisture content; Noise; Pavements; Radial ply tires; Steering; Testing; Tire treads; Tires; Traction; Traffic safety; Trucks
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dry conditions; Wet conditions
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement; Noise sound; Radial tires
- Subject Areas: Environment; Highways; Motor Carriers; Pavements; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00169295
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TST-78-2
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 7 1978 12:00AM