SAFETY STATUS DATA COLLECTION METHODOLOGY. VOLUME I. SUMMARY REPORT
There were two principal objectives of the study. The first was to develop data collection and data analysis procedures to permit the measurement and evaluation of existing state motor vehicle inspection programs. Only passenger cars were considered. A limited field test was conducted in St. Louis, Missouri, to validate the procedures. The second objective was to design an experiment which relates the presence of a federally recommended PMVI system to accident, fatality, injury and property damage level. The experiment considered exogenous variables (topography, demographics, driver habits, etc.) and control variables (statistical similarity of two groups) as well as the principal comparison of interest--PMVI versus no PMVI. Volume I is a Summary Report covering the principal activities and achievements of the study.
- See also Volume 2, PB-275 478. Also available in set of 6 reports PC E14, PB-275 476-SET.
Avco Systems Division201 Lowell Street
Wilmington, MA USA 01887
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Bentley, G K
- Publication Date: 1977-5
- Pagination: 36 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Automobiles; Collisions; Crash injury research; Crash severity; Data collection; Defects; Demographics; Drivers; Evaluation; Fatalities; Field tests; Human characteristics; Information processing; Inspection; Loss and damage; Measurement; Measures of effectiveness; Motor vehicles; Prevention; Project management; Property; Research; Safety; States; Statistical analysis; Topography; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Driver characteristics; Effectiveness; Property damage
- Old TRIS Terms: Control conditions
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Society;
- Accession Number: 00169288
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-802-571 Final Rpt., AVSD-0109-77RR-VOL-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-5-01159
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 7 1978 12:00AM