STUDIES IN RAILROAD OPERATIONS AND ECONOMICS. VOLUME 14. MODELS FOR INVESTIGATING TRAIN CONNECTION RELIABILITY AT RAIL CLASSIFICATION YARDS
This report presents models for predicting train connection performances at rail freight classification yards. The probability of making a connection is influenced by the time available to make the connection, dispatching policy, traffic volumes, priorities, train reliability, and overall yard performance. The report contains models of the probability of making a train connection that were calibrated for four Southern Railway hump yards. These models can be used with train schedule information to predict average yard times. In this report, several examples demonstrate ways to improve yard performances: avoiding tightly scheduled connections, revising train schedules, improving train reliability, reducing train and block cancellations, and adjusting classification policy as the traffic mix changes. Several of these are illustrated with data developed during the Southern Case Study. The report closes with recommendations for improving yard performance.
- See also Volume 13, PB-244 130.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyTransportation Systems Division
Cambridge, MA USA 02139
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Kerr, P A
- Martland, C D
- Sussman, J M
- Philip, C E
- Publication Date: 1976-11
- Pagination: 141 p.
- TRT Terms: Car utilization (Railroads); Cargo handling; Freight cars; Freight trains; Hump yards; Mathematical models; Quality of service; Railroad transportation; Reliability; Scheduling; Traffic delays; Train operations; Yard operations
- Identifier Terms: Southern Railway
- Uncontrolled Terms: Train delays
- Old TRIS Terms: Expediting; Operating strategies; Yard performance
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00169276
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/OPPD-77/23 Final Rpt., MIT-R76-44
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-10006
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 7 1978 12:00AM