SELECTION OF THE KINEMATIC CHAIN FOR THE REDUCTION GEAR FOR LARGE SHIPS
VYBOR KINEMATICHESKOY SKHEMY REDUCTORA KRUPNOTONNAZHNYKH SUDOV
The modern steam turbine plant in a large cargo ship can be characterized as highly economical, primarily the result of using steam with superhigh parameters and a thermodynamic cycle with intermediate steam superheating. A tendency to reduce propeller rpm has also developed. These features, in combination with the direct increase in power transmitted by the turbines, have made it necessary for the leading turbine building firms to review traditional marine reduction gear designs and to undertake a wide-ranging search for new kinematic chains that will ensure dependable transmission of power from the turbines to the propeller. This paper reviews the effect these features have on the selection of a rational reduction gear chain that will, to a considerable degree, determine such very important parameters of the main geared turbine set as a whole as operational dependability, cost, weight and size, desirable arrangement, and the like.
- Translated from Sudostroyeniye, No 1, 1970, pp31-37.
Naval Intelligence CommandAlexandria, VA USA
- Ioffe, LYa
- Pyzh, O A
- Rodin, A S
- Derzhavets, YuA
- Publication Date: 1970-9-28
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 16 p.
- TRT Terms: Differentials (Gears); Gears; Reduction gears; Turbines; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Gear design; Geared turbines
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00010302
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 25 1972 12:00AM