EVALUATION OF UTCS (URBAN TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS) CONTROL STRATEGIES. TECHNICAL REPORT
The report describes the evaluation of three generations of signal control strategies developed for the Urban Traffic Control Systems (UTCS) program in Washington, D.C. The research was performed in two phases. Phase I of the research consisted of an evaluation of four alternatives of first generation control strategies. Phase II of the research evaluated the Second and Third Generation Control Strategies. This effort also included a re-investigation of the most effective First Generation Control Strategies (1GC-TRSP). The evaluation was performed using a vehicle-minute measure of effectiveness derived from sureillance system volume data and moving car travel time data. The costs to implement each of the three generations were developed for hypothetical networks of 100, 500, and 1,000 signalized intersections. The First Generation (TRSP) was found to be operationally effective, was the least expensive to apply, and should be given primary consideration for implementation. Second Generation proved effective on arterials, was only slightly more costly to implement than 1GC (TRSP), and should be given consideration for areas with substantial arterial development. Third Generation did not prove effective, and requires further development.
- See also report dated Sep 75, PB-251 182 and report dated Aug 76, PB-275 044. Prepared in cooperation with Peat, Marwick, Mitchell and Co., Washington, D.C.
JHK & Associates,
Peat, Marwick, Mitchell and Company1025 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20036
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Henry, R D
- Ferlis, R A
- Kay, J L
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Pagination: 162 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic control; Computer programming; Control systems; Detectors; Intersections; Measures of effectiveness; Networks; Optimization; Research; Signalized intersections; Systems engineering; Traffic engineering; Traffic signal control systems; Traffic signals; Traffic surveillance; Traffic volume; Transportation; Travel time; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness
- Geographic Terms: Washington (District of Columbia)
- Old TRIS Terms: Strategy; Substitutes; Transportation research
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Research; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00169263
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-76-150 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8242
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 16 1978 12:00AM