EVALUATION OF UTCS (URBAN TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS) CONTROL STRATEGIES. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
The report summarizes the evaluation of three generations of signal control strategies developed for the Urban Traffic Control Systems (UTCS) program in Washington, D.C. This research was performed in two phases. Phase I of the research consisted of an evaluation of four alternatives of first generation control strategies. Phase II of the research evaluated the Second and Third Generation Control Strategies. This effort also included a reinvestigation of the most effective First Generation Control Strategies (1GC-TRSP). The First Generation (TRSP) was found to be operationally effective, was the least expensive to apply, and should be given primary consideration for implementation. The results indicate second generation may have applications on arterials, was only slightly more costly to implement than 1GC (TRSP), and should undergo further experimentation to ascertain its application and effectiveness. Third Generation did not prove effective and requires further development.
- Prepared in cooperation with Peat, Marwick, Mitchell and Co., Washington, D.C. See also report dated July 1 k976, PB-275 045.
JHK & Associates,
Peat, Marwick, Mitchell and Company1025 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Henry, R D
- Ferlis, R A
- Kay, J L
- Publication Date: 1976-8
- Pagination: 29 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Automatic control; Computer programming; Cost estimating; Costs; Estimates; Evaluation; Intersections; Measures of effectiveness; Networks; Research; Systems engineering; Traffic control; Traffic signal control systems; Traffic signals; Traffic surveys; Transportation; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Effectiveness
- Geographic Terms: Washington (District of Columbia)
- Old TRIS Terms: Strategy; Substitutes; Transportation research
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Research; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00169262
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-76-149 Final Rpt., FCP 32B4-254
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8242
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 16 1978 12:00AM