MOBILITY OF PEOPLE AND GOODS IN THE URBAN ENVIRONMENT. FACILITATION OF URBAN GOODS MOVEMENT
Conflicts between trucks and other vehicles in the downtown area cause delays to the motoring public and result in inefficient goods movement. Reducing these conflicts requires a quantitative understanding of the operating procedures of goods movement vehicles as well as a qualitative appreciation of why they occur as they do. Field data and interviews performed in both years of this study indicate that, land use is the dominant variable controlling goods movement patterns in the City Center. Goods activity, truck activity, internal distribution and other facets of goods distribution were conducted for a range of typical urban center land uses. The study documented several aspects of urban goods movement including: goods vehicle trip generation rates, generating characteristics, parking patterns, dwell-time, delays, etc. Based on the results of the two years of study general guidelines have been developed for facilitating goods movement in the urban center.
- See also First Year Report Oct 74, PB-259 533.
Polytechnic Institute of New YorkDepartment of Transportation Planning and Engineering, 333 Jay Street
Brooklyn, NY United States 11201
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Crowley, K W
- Habib, P A
- Publication Date: 1975-12
- Pagination: 109 p.
- TRT Terms: Bars (Building materials); Central business districts; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Guidelines; Highway traffic; Land use; Mobility; Parking facilities; Passenger transportation; Traffic delays; Trucks; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Inner cities
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Central city; Curved bars; Vehicular traffic
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Highways; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00169217
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TST-76-90 Final Rpt., TR-75-503
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-30095
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 30 1981 12:00AM