GENERAL VEHICLE TEST INSTRUMENTATION MANUAL
A General Vehicle Test System (GVTS) has been developed by the Transportation Systems Center to facilitate rail transit vehicle testing at the Transportation Test Center, Pueblo, Colorado. This system was designed to be responsive to requirements specified in the report General Vehicle Test Plan (GVTP) for Urban Rail Transit Cars (PB-250 575). The purpose of this manual is to describe the instrumentation system (Part 1) of the GVTS and the standardized techniques to be employed to ensure the acquisition of valid test data using the system. The GVTS includes measurement systems for vehicle voltage, current, acceleration/vibration, pressure, temperature, displacement, strain and test reference data. Each individual measurement system is described in detail in the Appendix of this document. This document presents a system overview of the entire GVTS as well as a summary of the instrumentation systems referenced to the applicable Standard Outputs of the GVTP. It also describes signal monitor and calibration equipment and electrical shielding and grounding techniques. Descriptions of the supporting documentation file, the inventory control system, and miscellaneous system notes are also included. References are listed in this report. A companion document, General Vehicle Test Instrumentation Evaluation (PB-269 598), reports the results of evaluative tests performed on the instrumentation systems.
- Record URL:
- See also PB-250 575.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Babb, L V
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 243 p.
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Dynamic loads; Instrumentation; Interference; Inventory control; Measuring instruments; Passenger cars; Railroad cars; Rapid transit; Rapid transit cars; Specifications; Tests; Urban transportation; Vibration tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response
- Old TRIS Terms: Instrument characteristics; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00169214
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-77 Handbook, UMTA-MA-06-0025-17
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 30 1981 12:00AM