LIFESTYLES AND HOUSEHOLD ENERGY USE: 1973 AND 1975 NATIONAL SURVEYS. CODE BOOK AND DATA PROCESSING GUIDE
The Energy and Lifestyles data documentation and file are a compilation of data collected in two national housing unit surveys. The first survey conducted in May 1973 collected data for 1455 households and the housing units in which those households resided. The sample was designed to provide an oversampling of low income households. The survey was repeated in 1975 for 3140 households, of which approximately 1000 were repeat households from the 1973 survey. Therefore, on a record dump, some households will have a large block of data, whereas, others will have some blanks for the missing information either from 1973 or 1975. Among the variables collected on the survey are: (1) characteristics, size, construction, and amenities of housing units; (2) economic and demographic data on households; (3) actual consumption and cost of electricity and natural gas in residential use; and estimated cost of fuel oil; (4) characteristics of equipment used for space heating and cooling, as well as water heating; (5) auto ownership and usage; (6) personal transportation behavior; (7) possession of appliances and other energy using household conveniences; and (8) changes in energy-related behavior and attitudes toward energy consumption since energy shortages first came to widespread public attention.
- For data file on magnetic tape see PB-272 448.
Department of EnergyConsumption Studies Division
Washington, DC United States 20586
- Nicoletti, N
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Pagination: 233 p.
- TRT Terms: Air conditioners; Attitudes; Automobiles; Construction; Costs; Data collection; Demographics; Dwellings; Economic conditions; Electrical equipment; Electricity; Energy consumption; Energy resources; Fuel consumption; Fuel oils; Heaters; Heating (Structures); Households; Natural gas; Ownership; Public opinion; Questionnaires; Sampling; Size; Surveys; Transportation; Water heaters
- Uncontrolled Terms: Energy crisis; Household appliances
- Old TRIS Terms: Space heaters
- Subject Areas: Construction; Energy; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00169116
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FEA/B-77/342a, FEA/DF-77/001a
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 30 1978 12:00AM