REAL-TIME MANNED SIMULATION OF ADVANCED TERMINAL AREA GUIDANCE CONCEPTS FOR SHORT-HAUL OPERATIONS
A real-time simulation was conducted of three-dimensional area navigation and four-dimensional area navigation equipped (STOL) aircraft operating in a high-density terminal area traffic environment. The objectives were to examine the effects of 3D RNAV and 4D RNAV equipped aircraft on the terminal area traffic efficiency, and to examine the performance of an air traffic control system concept and associated controller display proposed for use with advanced RNAV systems. Three types of STOL aircraft were simulated each with different performance capabilities. System performance was measured in both the 4D mode and in a 3D mode; the 3D mode, used as a baseline, was simply the 4D mode less any time specification. The results show that communications workload in the 4D mode was reduced by about 35 percent compared to the 3D, while 35 percent more traffic was handled with the 4D. Aircraft holding time in the 4D mode was only 30 percent of that required in the 3D mode. In addition, the orderliness of traffic was improved significantly in the 4D mode.
- Subm-Prepared in Cooperation with the Natl. Aviation Facilities Exptl. Center, Atlantic City, N. J.
Ames Research CenterNational Aeronautics and Space Administration
Moffett Field, CA USA 94035
- TOBIAS, L
- Obrien, P J
- Publication Date: 1977-8
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic; Air traffic control; Air traffic control facilities; Aircraft; Approach control; Economic efficiency; Human machine systems; Navigation; Real time control; Short haul; Simulation; STOL aircraft; Terminal air traffic control
- Uncontrolled Terms: Area navigation; Efficiency
- Old TRIS Terms: Air traffic control terminal; Four dimensional guidance; Landing simulation; Real time operation; Real time operators; Short takeoff aircraft; Terminal guidance
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Economics; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00169067
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NASA-TN-D-8499, A-6841
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 30 1978 12:00AM