HYBRID COMPUTER VEHICLE HANDLING PROGRAM
The hybrid computer simulation for vehicle handling studies has been in use for 4 years and has been validated for a large class of two-axle vehicles. The following suspensions can be simulated: (a) independent front and rear axles, (b) independent front with solid rear axle, (c) independent front and solid rear axle with dual rear tinres, (d) solid front and rear axles, and (e) solid front and rear axles with dual rear tires. Model validation was accomplished using parametric data representative of a 1974 Chevrolet Nova, 1973 VW Campmobile, a 1974 White Tractor, and various other automobiles and trucks. Braking, steering, and combinations of braking and steering were input to the simulated mathematical model for validation, and the simulation time histories were then compared to full-scale test data. The hybrid vehicle handling program can be used for general studies of vehicle dynamics. Performance of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration standard passenger car Vehicle Handling Test Procedures and calculation of the associated performance comparison variables are simulation options. A special interactive user's interface is available to allow program use by vehicle engineers as well as computer specialists.
- See also report dated Oct 76, PB-262 434.
Johns Hopkins University, LaurelApplied Physics Laboratory, 11100 Johns Hopkins Road
Laurel, MD United States 20723-6099
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Bohn, P F
- Keenan, R J
- Prowznik, J
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Pagination: 379 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Automobiles; Axles; Braking; Computer programs; Dynamic loads; Hybrid simulation; Mathematical models; Motor vehicles; Simulation; Steering; Suspension systems; Testing; Truck tractors; Trucks; Validation; Vehicle dynamics; Vehicle performance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response; Hybrids
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00168997
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: APL-JHU-CP-049 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-213-3-695
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 30 1978 12:00AM