PREFABRICATED STRUCTURAL MEMBERS FOR CUT-AND-COVER TUNNELS. VOLUME 1. DESIGN CONCEPTS
This report explores the possibility of improving cut-and-cover tunnel construction in urban areas by the use of prefabricated structural members. Various shapes and materials are examined and methods of incorporating these shapes are described. Types of loadings required and design methods are shown. The study concludes that the use of prefabricated members, particularly precast concrete members, is feasible and offers opportunities for significantly reducing surface disruption time. It shows construction methods for the use of precast wall members placed in fluid (slurry) trenches, and precast, prestressed members. This report is the first of two volumes. Volume 2, FHWA-RD-76-114, 'Three Case Studies,' summarizes designs and cost considerations applicable to three actual tunnel sites.
- See also Volume 2, PB-273 531.
Consulting Engineers Group, Incorporated1701 East Lake Avenue
Glenview, IL USA 60025
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Martin, L D
- Gill, S A
- Scott, N L
- Publication Date: 1977-3
- Pagination: 190 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Construction; Costs; Cut and cover tunneling; Design; Excavation and tunneling; Foundations; Loads; Precast concrete; Prefabricated structures; Prestressed concrete; Slurry; Slurry trenches; Tunnel lining; Tunneling; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Slurries; Slurry tunneling
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Design; Finance;
- Accession Number: 00168930
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/RD-76-113 Final Rpt., 4149-Vol-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8594
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 13 1978 12:00AM