COLLECTION, PROPAGATION, CULTURE, EVALUATION, AND MAINTENANCE OF PLANT MATERIALS FOR HIGHWAY IMPROVEMENT
Problems related to the culture, maintenance, and propagation of a broad spectrum of woody ornamental plant materials were evaluated. These included variety trials conducted at various locations in Nebraska and several studies comparing roadside establishment of plant materials as influenced by mulches, herbicides, fertilizers, sizes of bare root planting stocks, and methods of handling trees with prominent taproot. The native vegetation of eight counties in western Nebraska was also surveyed to determine the local species which may be of value for landscaping roadsides in that portion of the state. Considerable effort was also devoted to exploring the potential of native wildflowers. 'Eureka' thickspike gayfeather, 'Kaneb' purple prairieclover, and 'Nekan' pitcher sage were developed and released as new cultivars. Likewise, germination response to storage and germination conditions, and tolerance to mowing of several species of wildflowers were investigated.
- Pub. as Nebraska State Dept. of Roads, Lincoln. Research Study 74-2-PR-114.
University of Nebraska, LincolnDepartment of Civil Engineering, Nebraska Hall
Lincoln, NE United States 68588-0531
Nebraska Department of Roads1500 Highway 2, P.O. Box 94759
Lincoln, NE United States 68509
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Salac, S S
- Publication Date: 1977-8-10
- Pagination: 194 p.
- TRT Terms: Cultivation; Fertilizers; Field tests; Herbicides; Highways; Landscaping; Maintenance; Materials management; Mulches; Performance evaluations; Planting; Plants; Reproduction (Biology); Roads; Shrubs; Trees
- Geographic Terms: Nebraska
- Old TRIS Terms: Ornamental plants; Plant reproduction
- Subject Areas: Environment; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00168921
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PR-114, FHWA/NE-77/2
- Files: NTIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jan 13 2002 12:00AM