GUIDELINE FOR RIDE-QUALITY SPECIFICATIONS BASED ON TRANSPO '72 TEST DATA
The study was undertaken to determine if new information suitable for use in Automated Guideway Transit (AGT) specifications of ride-quality could be derived from data taken during the tests of the four prototype AGT systems (the Bendix Dashaveyor, the Ford Motor AGT, the Rohr Monocab, and the Otis TTD system) at the Dulles International Airport in conjunction with TRANSPO '72. The purpose of this work was to establish acceptable ride-quality levels for AGT vehicles and to define a means for measuring these motions. A set of acceleration and jerk values is presented for developing AGT ride-quality specifications in a universally accepted format for these measurements. In this report, the ride-quality acceleration measurements and the ride-jury comfort ratings that were recorded during the Post-TRANSPO '72 test program have been examined for possible use in establishing standards for the ride-quality of AGT systems. The four TRANSPO systems, the techniques used for making the ride-comfort tests, and data processing and analysis methods are described. Results are presented for the vibratory motions associated with travel at a constant speed over a straight guideway and for transient events associated with starting and stopping, traversing switch areas, and entering and exiting curves. Although the sample is small, and some anomalies are present, the TRANSPO results were found to be a unique source of data for defining ride-quality standards.
- See also Summary rept. dated Jun 73, PB-225 170.
Johns Hopkins University, LaurelApplied Physics Laboratory, 11100 Johns Hopkins Road
Laurel, MD United States 20723-6099
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Caywood, W C
- Donnelly, H L
- Rubinstein, N
- Publication Date: 1977-10
- Pagination: 46 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated guideway transit; Guideways; Intelligent transportation systems; Passenger comfort; Ride quality
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Guideway systems
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00168889
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MD-06-0022-77-3Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-60042T
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 13 1978 12:00AM