DESIGN OF TEST RIG FOR HYDRODYNAMICALLY COUPLED CONTRAROTATING PROPELLER PROPULSION SYSTEM
There appears to be universal agreement with respect to the improvements to be gained from the action of contrarotating propellers (CR). From a machinery design point of view, various CR arrangements are feasible. This report discusses design of a model CR test rig using an epicyclic gear as the CR shaft output generator and a speed reducer. The report further discusses the options available to the propulsion systems designers and the implication of the various options on such parameters as mechanical efficiency, size, arrangement, etc. The introduction of the simple epicyclic gear as the CR shaft generator introduces the concept of hydrodynamically coupled CR propellers.
Transmission Technology CompanyFairfield, NJ USA
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Folenta, D J
- Publication Date: 1977-8
- Pagination: 75 p.
- TRT Terms: Contrarotating propellers; Design; Economic analysis; Epicyclic gears; Fuel consumption; Hydrodynamics; Model basins; Propellers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria
- Old TRIS Terms: Economic analysis (Propellers); Marine propellers; Model testing; Propeller models
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Energy; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00168855
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MA-RD-920-77100 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: MA-6-38074
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 27 1978 12:00AM