AT-SEA INCINERATION OF ORGANOCHLORINE WASTES ONBOARD THE M/T VULCANUS
The report describes the incineration of 4100 tonnes of organochlorine wastes by the M/T Vulcanus in an EPA-designated burn area in the Gulf of Mexico under a special permit granted by EPA Region VI. The wastes, containing 63% chlorine, originated from manufacturing processes. The incineration process was monitored by an industrial field sampling team. Waste destruction efficiencies and total combustion efficiencies were determined by five methods, each with independent means of sampling, analysis, and calculation. Incinerator efficiencies of at least 99.9% were observed at waste feed rates of 22 tonnes/hour. The process was carried out at a flame temperature averaging 1535 C and at dwell times calculated to be 0.9 seconds. An automatic waste shutoff system, incorporated into the incineration process, was preset to shut down the waste flow if the flame temperature dropped below 1200 C. The temperature of the process was monitored directly by an optical pyrometer for flame temperature, and indirectly by thermocouples which measured wall temperature and which were statistically correlated with the flame temperature.
TRW, IncorporatedRedondo Beach, CA United States 90278
Industrial Environmental Research LabResearch Triangle Pk, NC United States 27711
- Clausen, J F
- Fisher, H J
- Johnson, R J
- Moon, E L
- Shih, C C
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Pagination: 96 p.
- TRT Terms: Air quality management; Chemical analysis; Chemical composition; Chemical industry; Chlorine organic compounds; Combustion; Design; Economic efficiency; Equipment; Gas analysis; Gas chromatography; Incinerators; Industrial wastes; Manufacturing; Monitoring; Performance evaluations; Resource extraction; Samples; Sampling; Seawater; Tankers; Testing equipment; Waste disposal
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Efficiency; Laboratory equipment
- Old TRIS Terms: Air pollution control devices; Combustion products; Extractions; Tanker ships; Waste incinerators
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Environment; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00168827
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA/600/2-77/196 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-01-2966
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 27 1978 12:00AM