NONCONTACT NONDESTRUCTIVE DETERMINATION OF PAVEMENT DEFLECTION UNDER MOVING LOADS
This report presents a procedure for nondestructively evaluating and predicting the deflection response of various flexible pavements to loads imposed by different aircraft. Transfer function theory is used to form the basis of a pavement evaluation and response scheme. Two mobile systems were developed for the measurement of pavement deflections; the Light Emitting Diode (LED) system and the Linear Variable Differential Transformer (LVDT) system. The report concludes that the rapid nondestructive measurement of pavement deflections due to moving prototype loads is feasible and that a total nondestructive evaluation scheme based entirely on the use of prototype loads and measured deflections can be fabricated to evaluate and predict instantaneous response and cumulative effects of loads of various magnitudes and configurations. /Author/
- This report may be helpful to those interested in the design of pavements for cargo terminals.
Purdue Research FoundationPurdue University
Lafayette, IN United States 47907
- Harr, M E
- Ng-A-Qui, N T
- Publication Date: 1977-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References;
- Pagination: 312 p.
- TRT Terms: Airport runways; Deflection; Diodes; Evaluation; Flexible pavements; Forecasting; Light emitting diodes; Live loads; Materials selection; Nondestructive tests; Pavement performance; Pavements; Transfer functions; Transformers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Pavement loads
- Old TRIS Terms: Materials evaluation; Pavement deflection; Response
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Highways; Marine Transportation; Materials; Pavements; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00168408
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Aviation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-RD-77-127 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA73WAI-361
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 16 1978 12:00AM