UNIQUE CONCEPTS AND SYSTEMS FOR "ZERO-MAINTENANCE" PAVEMENTS
This document is a State-of-the-Art report surveying many new, as well as infrequently used techniques for improving the performance of the components of pavement systems. The goal of this work was to identify important factors affecting the design of new structural systems for "zero-maintenance" pavements. The three basic components of the conventional pavement system--the subgrade, the subbase and base, and the surface course--have been examined. The latest techniques of strengthening and stabilizing the subgrade component, and preserving its improved properties are reviewed. The feasibility of utilizing synthetic aggregates and waste products in "zero-maintenance" pavements is addressed. The utilization of new materials and new systems such as prefabricated panels and pile supported pavements have also been investigated. Evaluations of existing information on the individual pavement system components have been synthesized to produce one modified conventional, and seven new structural pavement systems that may be capable of satisfying "zero-maintenance" criteria. /Author/
- This report may be helpful to those interested in the design of pavements for cargo terminals.
Dames and Moore7101 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD USA 20014
- SAXENA, S K
- Wang, JWH
- Udwair, J J
- Rosenkranz, W J
- Publication Date: 1977-7-15
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 266 p.
- TRT Terms: Airport runways; Artificial aggregates; Base course (Pavements); Engineering soils; Geotechnical engineering; Pavement design; Pavement maintenance; Pavements; Recycling; State of the art; State of the art studies; Subbase (Pavements); Subgrade (Pavements); Surface course (Pavements); Zero maintenance systems
- Uncontrolled Terms: Subbase
- Old TRIS Terms: Pavement repair
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Geotechnology; Highways; Marine Transportation; Materials; Pavements; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00168394
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-77- 76 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-9114
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 16 1978 12:00AM