LECTURE NOTES ON WAVE FORECASTING AND HINDCASTING APPLICATIONS
The present Spectral Ocean Wave Model (SOWM) in use at Fleet Numerical Weather Central (FNWC), for hindcasting and forecasting waves, is reviewed. Verification studies have been conducted with the SOWM and surface truth observations from wave buoys, satellite radar altimeter measurements, and synthetic aperture radars. The SOWM has been adapted to run in conjunction with a shallow water model with the inclusion of wave-current interaction. Applications of the models of OTSR, site forecasting and military and Merchant Tactical Ship routing are examined and described in terms of the potential incorporates of satellite data and those of SOWM forecasts.
Webb Institute of Naval ArchitectureGlen Cove, NY United States
- Hayes, J
- Publication Date: 1977
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Electromagnetic spectrum; Ocean waves; Routing; Ships; Water waves; Weather forecasting; Weather routing
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ship routing
- Old TRIS Terms: Hindcasting; Wave forecasting
- Subject Areas: Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00168355
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Webb Institute of Naval Architecture
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 16 1978 12:00AM