STUDY OF SHIPBOARD INPUT SEWAGE DISPOSAL
The primary purpose of the study is to determine quantitatively the future shipboard sewage-disposal requirements at the Dunkalk, Clinton Street, North Locust Point, South Locust Point and Hawkins marine terminals in the Port of Baltimore. These terminals are under the jurisdication of the Maryland Port Administration (MPA). The following basic tasks were undertaken and completed: 1. Review all Federal laws and regulations pertaining to discharge of shipboard sewage into the waters of the United States. 2. Conduct a survey of those shipping companies (foreign and domestic) whose vessels call at the Port of Baltimore to determine their plans for the installation of Marine Sanitary Devices (MSDs) in their vessels. 3. In the same survey, determine, for each ship, its crew size, frequency of call and duration of stay in order to estimate daily ship discharge requirements. 4. Investigate current and planned facilities for shipboard sewage removal at MPA terminals. 5. Ascertain present and proposed municipal sewage capabilities for ship sewage off-load and conduct an economic analysis of the various options. 6. Investigate the feasibility of MPA obtaining Federal funds in the form of grants to assist in making those corrections or additions to port facilities that would be required in order to comply with existing Federal laws or regulations as they apply to shipboard sewage disposal.
- Prepared for Maryland Department of Transportation and the Maryland Port Administration.
Mantech of New Jersey Corporation6110 Executive Boulevard, Suite 620
Rockville, MD United States 20852
- Ricinak, M D
- Rekas, J
- Publication Date: 1976-7-23
- Pagination: 85 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Costs; Marine terminals; Policy; Port structures; Ports; Sewage collection; Sewage disposal; Ships; Waste disposal; Waste management
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Geographic Terms: Maryland
- Old TRIS Terms: Shipboard sewage disposal; Waste discharge management
- Subject Areas: Environment; Finance; Marine Transportation; Policy; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00168230
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Mantech of New Jersey Corporation
- Contract Numbers: MPA-C76-21
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jan 30 1978 12:00AM