THE PARCEL TANKER TRADES
This Study examines the main inter-area, deep-sea trades of non-petroleum bulk liquids (excluding heavy chemicals-the inorganic acids and caustic soda) that are transported by tankers in excess of 10,000 DWT having a greater sophistication than is normally found in a conventional products tanker (a definition which embraces a somewhat wider range of ships than the highly sophisticated "pure" parcel tanker category). These trades possess the following distinctive features: complexity, with a wide range of different ship types following complicated trading patterns and carrying cargoes for many different end uses; diversity, of cargo types, of ship categories and between the policies of the various participants in the trades; scarcity of information, unlike the trade in crude oil and refined products, details of the seaborne movement of nonpetroleum bulk liquids are not well documented and cannot be easily extracted from trade statistics. Further, the fleet of parcel tankers (as defined here) is not easily identified; indeed, there is a considerable "grey" area between refined products carriers and chemical carriers. This scarcity of information has proved to be a serious constraint on the analysis of this study, leading to a broad and generalized approach to both the trade analysis and fleet identification, with the objective of identifying significant trends and the key veriables.
Drewry (HP) (Shipping Consultants) LimitedResearch Division, 24 Brook Street
London W1Y 2LL, England
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Pagination: 72 p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk cargo; Chemical tankers; Chemicals; Chemicals; Demand; Policy; Pollution; Regulations; Statistics; Tankers; Trade; Trend (Statistics)
- Identifier Terms: International Maritime Consultative organization
- Old TRIS Terms: Imco chemical carriers code; Imco pollution regulations; Tanker demand; Tanker fleet statistics; Trade analysis; Trade policies; Trade statistics
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Environment; Law; Marine Transportation; Policy;
- Accession Number: 00168229
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Drewry (HP) (Shipping Consultants) Limited
- Report/Paper Numbers: #58
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 30 1978 12:00AM