WATER IMPACT LOADS AND DYNAMIC RESPONSE OF HORIZONTAL CIRCULAR CYLINDERS IN OFFSHORE STRUCTURES
The first part of the paper studies the loads on a rigid horizontal circular cylinder that is forced with constant velocity through the water surface. It is found that the slamming force coefficient is equal to 3,1 (numerical estimates), while experiments give an average value of 5,3. The second part of the paper studies the dynamic response of flexible horizontal circular cylinders that are forced through the water surface. Scaling of model test results give significant stresses for horizontal trusses of north sea structures.
- Presented at Conference held in Houston, Texas, May 2-5, 1977.
Offshore Technology Conference6200 North Central Expressway
Dallas, TX United States 45206
- Faltinsen, O
- Kjarland, O
- Publication Date: 1977
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Cylindrical bodies; Dynamic loads; Impact loads; Offshore structures; Pressure; Slamming; Structural analysis; Trusses
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response
- Old TRIS Terms: Slamming pressures
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00168191
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ship Research Institute of Norway
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper No. 2741, Vol1Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 30 1978 12:00AM