STANDARDIZED COMMODITY TRANSPORTATION SURVEY (CTS) DATA BASE: USER'S MANUAL
This document describes the development, content, and application of a computer based standardized commodity transportation data base which has been established for governmental and general public use. The scope of the data base is presently restricted to primary shipments of manufactured goods from producing plants, as included in the public use files and other special computer tapes published by the Bureau of the Census from its Commodity Transportation Surveys of 1963, 1967, and 1972. These data have been adjusted for differences in units of reporting, certain changes in commodity classification, and in totals for certain commodities that were reported by the Census Bureau after publication of the public use files. To provide rapidity and flexibility of information retrieval, the data have been stored in a computer based data management system which can be accessed by the public. The system includes several utility user routines which can provide a range of detailed and summary tabulations of retrieved data.
- Prepared for the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Policy and Program Development.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Jordan, L
- Crutchfield, G
- Wright, D G
- Publication Date: 1977-10
- Features: Appendices; Tables;
- Pagination: 67 p.
- TRT Terms: Commodities; Competition; Computer programs; Data processing; Forecasting; Freight traffic; Industries; Information storage and retrieval systems; Origin and destination; Statistics; Time sharing; Traffic density; Traffic forecasting; Transportation modes
- Old TRIS Terms: Commodity statistics
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00168101
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/OPPD-77/22 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: PPA-RR734
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 13 1978 12:00AM