THE ECONOMICS OF 24 YEAR CYCLE TRACK MAINTENANCE USING HIGH SPEED TRACK RENEWAL TRAINS
This report determines technical and economic feasibility of the track renewal concept of track maintenance, using the European track renewal trains as compared to the traditional method of component replacement on an as needed basis. Using the theory developed in the report, the value of second hand ties is determined, this being used to prove that the cascading of ties that result from the track renewal concept is economically worthwhile. The report is written in a format that enables easy comparison to individual railroad circumstances, justifies the implementation of this concept based on labor, equipment running cost, salvage and scrap tie savings only. A listing of intangible benefits and anticipated disadvantages of this concept is also included.
Illinois Central Gulf Railroad233 North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL USA 60601
- BURNS, D R
- Publication Date: 1976-10
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 142 p.
- TRT Terms: Economic analysis; Life cycle costing; Maintenance of way; Railroad ties; Railroad tracks; Track laying; Track panels
- Old TRIS Terms: Track renewals
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00168097
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 13 1978 12:00AM