OHIO'S HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE QUALITY SYSTEM
The method developed provides an objective measurement of the quality of highway maintenance. The system has been in use continuously for the past six years with only minor modifications. The measurement is based on the physical preservation of the highway and the provision of safe, convenient and economical highway transportation. Observations of field conditions for each highway element or activity are used as direct measures of quality by conversion to units per mile. The results of the field survey in units per mile are plotted by computer into bar chart form for use by all levels of management. Review of the bar charts shows what type of maintenance work is being neglected and how a given county compares in quality to other counties within the district and throughout the state. The bar charts are also used by operations and maintenance engineers at both the district and central office to evaluate the existing quality of maintenance in the various counties and as a management tool to improve the direction and control of available maintenance resources. The study concludes that the measurement system provides useful data to all levels of management. It is noted that the maintenance management system will be of further use with the development of performance standards for various maintenance activities and revising the data collecting system.
- Presented at the 63rd Annual Meeting of AASHTO, Committee on Operations and Maintenance, Atlantic City, New Jersey, October 31, 1977-Novemver 2, 1977.
Columbus, OH USA 43215
- Zook, R L
- Publication Date: 1977-11
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Charts; Conservation; Field studies; Highway maintenance; Highway safety; Highway transportation; Information processing; Management
- Uncontrolled Terms: Resource management
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Environment; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00167879
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Apr 26 1978 12:00AM