PREFABRICATED STRUCTURAL MEMBERS FOR CUT-AND COVER TUNNELS: VOLUME 2 THREE CASE STUDIES
This report is the second of two volumes. The design concepts for the use of prefabricated structural members on cut-and-cover tunnels developed in Volume I are tested on three sites where transportation tunnels are being considered. The sites represent a diversity of site conditions, grades and tunnel depths. The site studies confirm the feasibility of many of the concepts proposed in Report No. FHWA-RD-76-113, "Prefabricated Structural Members for Cut-and-Cover Tunnels, Vol. 1, Design Concepts." Cost savings in the other of 7 to 13 percent of the structural costs are indicated. Costruction time will usually be saved, and a dramatic difference in surface disruption is shown in Case Study 1, the only site studied where such disruption was an important factor. The use of prefabricated members for tunnel approaches and other depressed roadways is investigated in Case Study 2. /Author/
- Sponsored by the Offices of Research and Development, FHWA, DOT. FHWA Contract Manager: J.R. Sullberg (HRS-11).
Consulting Engineers Group, Incorporated1701 East Lake Avenue
Glenview, IL USA 60025
- Martin, L D
- Kowall, K R
- Publication Date: 1977-5
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 171 p.
- TRT Terms: Costs; Depth; Excavation and tunneling; Prefabricated structures; Slopes; Structural design; Structural members; Tunnels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Grades; Tunnel design
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Finance; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00167834
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-76-114 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8594
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 7 1978 12:00AM