ESTIMATION OF ICE FORCES ON THE HULL OF M.V. ARCTIC EXPLORER BY STRAIN GAUGE MEASUREMENTS
The ice forces on the hull of M.V. Arctic Explorer have been estimated by measuring strains in the frames of the ship structure when the ship was chartered by NORDCO to conduct a range of scientific experiments. The recorded strain gauge data is interpreted with the help of theoretical calibration using finite element analysis of the hull structure. The estimated ice force is tabulated for the most severe cases of loading during the project.
- Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic Conditions (POAC 77), Newfoundland Memorial University, Canada, September 26-30, 1977.
POAC Conference 77,
- Sodhi, D S
- Button, L
- Boetes, R
- Arockiasamy, M
- Publication Date: 1977
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Calibration; Cargo ships; Finite element method; Fluid resistance; Force; Hulls; Ice; Icebreakers; Pack ice; Strain gages; Structural analysis; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hull resistance
- Old TRIS Terms: Ice forces on structures; Strain gage calibration
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00167682
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Memorial University of Newfoundland, Canada
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 13 1978 12:00AM