THE NO-BUILD ALTERNATIVE: SOCIAL, ECONOMIC AND ENVIROMENTAL CONSEQUENCES OF NOT CONSTRUCTING TRANSPORTATION FACILITIES-- PART I: FINDINGS AND GUIDELINES
The general objective of the research is to strengthen the techniques available for the definition and evaluation of Not Constructing a Transportation Facility (NCTF) alternatives. Three aspects of NCTF are emphasized. The first approach recommends utilizing a realistic NCTF alternative as a point of comparison by which to evaluate larger build alternatives. Such an NCTF alternative should identify the probable transportation and land use outcomes that can be expected if a decision is made not to construct a proposed facility. The second approach focuses on the use and misuse of the methodologies for the prediction of NCTF impacts. For each impact catagory, the adequacy or inadequacy of available methodologies and techniques are evaluated from both theoretical and practical viewpoints. The last approach, utilizaiton of an NCTF alternative, broadens the scope of plan evaluation to include the option of not constructing the proposed project. In addition it provides a clear means of expressing the positive and negative impacts of any proposed project action when compared to making no investment in construction.
- This work was sponsored by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration, and was conducted in the National Cooperative Highway Research Program under Project No. 8-11.
Crane (David A) and Partners, Incorporated334 Boylston Street
Boston, MA USA 02116
Economics Research Associates334 Boylston Street
Boston, MA USA 02116
Voorhees (Alan M) and Associates, IncorporatedCambridge, MA USA
- Lane, J S
- Grenzeback, Lance R
- Martin, T J
- Lockwood, S C
- Publication Date: 1975-12
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 220 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Economics; Evaluation; Impact studies; Investments; Land use planning; No build; Transportation
- Subject Areas: Economics; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00167488
- Record Type: Publication
- Contract Numbers: 8-11
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 18 1978 12:00AM