THE ROLE OF THE FHWA IN HIGHWAY SAFETY, 1964-1976
The purpose of this report is to describe the Federal Highway Administration's (FHWA) role in promoting highway safety since the highway safety improvement program was initiated in 1964. Highway safety has been an essential objective of FHWA since the beginning of the Federal-aid highway program. However, the emphasis has been increasing since 1964, when FHWA initiated a program to promote highway safety improvements at locations identified as hazardous. The Federal-aid highway safety program activities include the Spot Safety Improvement Program, the railroad-highway crossing improvement program, and the TOPICS Program. Recent Federal-aid legislation have designated categorical funds for specific types of highway safety improvements such as pavement markings and unsafe bridges. Another major effort of FHWA has been the development of improved highway design standards that would provide safer highways. These include both freeway and non-freeway design; roadside features such as impact attenuators and other protection devices; roadway surface improvements in skid resistance and studded tire regulations; traffic control devices; maintenance techniques; improving the driving environment and motorists assistance; and, assessing the potential payoffs of highway safety improvements prior to their installation.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1977-8
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 29 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridges; Federal aid; Hazards; Highway design; Highway safety; Improvements; Maintenance; Motorist aid systems; Railroad grade crossings; Road markings; Skid resistance; Traffic control
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Federal Highway Administration
- Old TRIS Terms: Federal highway administrator; Traffic marking
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00167486
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 18 1978 12:00AM