TRAFFIC CONTROLS FOR CONSTRUCTION AND MAINTENANCE WORK ZONES--VOLUME I, OFFICE FUNCTION VOLUME II, FIELD FUNCTION
Volume I illustrates many of the typical worksites describing the most common conditions encountered. The information provided can be used to supplement local, state, and national standards. Localized conditions, however, dictate the extent to which this report will directly apply. The topics include, among others: Public information, regulatory control, special traffic provisions, protection of pedestrians, flagging, temporary traffic signals, and nighttime procedures. Volume II is intended primarily for use by job site supervisors. It addresses the most common situations, problems and solutions that supervisors might be faced with. This report is based on three assumptions: Motorist and pedestrians must be informed of the work before they can act or react, motorist and pedestrains are reasonable persons and if properly informed they will do what they feel is best for themselves and others because, good traffic control practices are in the best interest of everyone. The topics include, among others: Emergency work moving operations, temporary traffic control devices, placing devices, temporary removal of signs, and pedestrian needs.
- This report was sponsored by DOT, Federal Highway Administration, Office of Research and Development.
Chicago, IL USA 60637
- Franklin, J D
- Sullivan, R H
- Doyle, R R
- Chipps Jr, J A
- Bowman, Mark D.
- Kuykendall, C R
- Krier, A
- Publication Date: 1977-5
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 175 p.
- TRT Terms: Construction; Emergencies; Inspection; Maintenance; Pedestrian safety; Traffic control; Traffic control devices; Traffic signals; Traffic signs; X ray analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Pedestrian protection; X ray inspection
- Subject Areas: Construction; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00167468
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-TS-77-204, FHWA-TWS-77-203
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 3 1978 12:00AM