METAL MINE WASTE DISPOSAL
Thirteen case studies on tailings dams to store mill waste from metal mine projects are presented. Every site is different and therefore must be assessed independently. Each example has been selected to highlight at least one major consideration. Details of environmental considerations, site selection, investigation, design and construction are presented. Among the case studies presented, a facility for retention and storage of tailings from the Missouri Lead milling operations is being developed by construction of a dam across a creek at a location approximately 2.5 miles from the mill. In Colorado, a tailings dam is being developed to provide for retention of tailings produced at the mine. Although these existing tailings dams have already been constructed, the available storage capacity within the existing impoundments is nearing depletion, and the Mayflower tailing dam is being constructed to provide for future tailing storage. In Canada, a tailings facility is located on the west side of a ravine which is a major fault line paralleling the Fraser Canyon. The area is considered to be within the active earthquake zone of British Columbia. Another example is given of a tailings dam in Ireland which illustrates the treatment of soft foundation soils by partial removal and development of a dam section which will accommodate some settlement. It also illustrates the use of decant inlets constructed on the natural slopes within the pond.
- This report was prepared for the Committee on Embankment Dams and Slopes of the American Society for Civil Engineers.
New York, NY United States 10017
- Brawner, C O
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 50 p.
- TRT Terms: Dams; Design; Environmental impacts; Handling and storage; Mining; Storage facilities; Surveying; Surveying; Tailings; Waste disposal
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Freight Transportation; Geotechnology; Highways; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00167459
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Monograph
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 16 1978 12:00AM