INNOVATIVE CONCEPTS AND TECHNOLOGY FOR RAILROAD-HIGHWAY GRADE CROSSING MOTORIST WARNING SYSTEMS. VOLUME II. THE GENERATION AND ANALYSIS OF ALTERNATIVE CONCEPTS
The report describes the results of a study directed toward the generation, analysis and evaluation of innovative conceptual and technical approaches to train-activated motorist warning systems for use at railroad-highway grade crossings. Particular attention is given to the use of the track as a transmission line in a guided reflection (radar-like) technique operating at audio frequencies. Attention is also given to improve special road surfaces in advance of the crossing, and to optically programmed traffic lights.
- Record URL:
- See also Volume 1, PB-273 354.
Tracor Jitco, Incorporated1300 East Jefferson Street
Rockville, MD United States 20852
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Peterson, D D
- Boyer, D S
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Pagination: 98 p.
- TRT Terms: Audio frequency; Grade crossing protection systems; Highways; Intersections; Lenses (Optics); Radar detectors; Railroad tracks; Railroads; Roughness; Safety; Track circuits; Traffic safety; Traffic signals; Warning devices; Warning signs; Warning systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Audio frequency track circuits; Grade crossing protection; Optical lenses; Radar detection; Visual warning systems
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00167400
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-FRA-76-19.IIFinal Rpt., FRA/ORD-77/37.II
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-842-2
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 27 1978 12:00AM