DEVELOPING LOCAL STRATEGIES AS ALTERNATIVES TO ABANDONMENT OF LIGHT DENSITY RAILROAD LINES
The report provides technical documentation of the research methodology which was developed and employed in order to produce a manual entitled 'Handbook for Preservation of Local Railroad Service'. That document is intended to assist shippers, local and state governmental units, and planners, in their efforts to maintain Class I branch line service or investigate shortline railroad alternatives to such Class I branch line service. Approaches which were considered are grouped generally into two categories: Those which are designed to assure the continuation of currently existing service; and those which will result in a newly-formed independent railroad operation. Discussions of each specific alternative are enhanced by the provisions of case study information where appropriate, and a variety of ideas are presented which relate to the economics of light density rail line operations. In addition, the Handbook provides its readers with a rather unique method for the estimation of railway operating costs which are relevant to the independent railroad alternative.
- See also report dated Jan 77, PB-272 458.
Knoxville, TN USA 37996-4133
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- PATTON, E P
- Langley, C J
- Publication Date: 1977-3
- Pagination: 318 p.
- TRT Terms: Abandonment; Branch lines; Economic impacts; Freight transportation; Handbooks; Level of service; Operating costs; Planning; Policy; Railroad transportation; Railroads; Short line railroads; Socioeconomic factors; State departments of transportation; State government; Subsidies; Traffic managers; Transportation operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services; Shippers; Transportation management
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Government policies; Short line
- Subject Areas: Economics; Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Railroads; Society;
- Accession Number: 00167390
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/TST-77/71 Final Rpt., TC-76-022
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-50125
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 27 1978 12:00AM