REGIONAL MARKET, INDUSTRY, AND TRANSPORTATION IMPACTS OF WATERWAY USER CHARGES
The objective of the report is to analyze the impacts on water-served economic markets and water transportation of the imposition of user charges designed to recover Federal outlays for the operation, maintenance, and repair of the U.S. waterways and ports (OM&R). The report describes the development of a preliminary impact model based on an analysis of waterway network operations and a stage-of-processing analysis of markets dependent on water carriage. Initial results from the models are based on the assumption that 100 percent of the operations and maintenance costs of waterways and ports will be recovered. The models calculate the differential impacts between segment-specific and uniform-fuel tax-collection options for a variety of commodity groups and markets, using 1972 waterway traffic data.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Anderson, D L
- Schuessler, R W
- Cardellichio, P A
- Publication Date: 1977-8
- Pagination: 111 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Building materials; Bulk cargo; Coal; Competition; Crude oil; Economic analysis; Forecasting; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Fuel consumption; Grain; Industries; Inland waterways; Iron; Maintenance; Market surveys; Mathematical models; Policy; Port operations; Ports; Pricing; Ship pilotage; Steel; Taxes; Traffic forecasting; Transportation modes; Transportation policy; User charges; Water traffic; Water transportation; Waterways
- Uncontrolled Terms: Port finance
- Geographic Terms: Great Lakes; Saint Lawrence Seaway; United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Bulk traffic; Cargo transportation; Government policies; Inland waterways navigation; Traffic analysis (Freight); Waterway transportation; Waterways (Transportation)
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Finance; Freight Transportation; Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation; Policy; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00167388
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-OST-77-41 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 27 1978 12:00AM