A COMPREHENSIVE FIELD TEST AND EVALUATION OF AN ELECTRONIC SIGNPOST AVM SYSTEM. VOLUME I. TEST RESULTS
The report covers the activities of Phase I which involved the installation and test of a HI3 AVM System in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, during the winter of 1976-1977. A summary report on all systems tested is Experiments on four different techniques for automatically locating land vehicles (PB-270 951). Phase I tests were divided into two primary categories: (1) random-route tests (police, paratransit, taxi, etc.), and (2) fixed-route (transit). In the random-route tests, the system showed the capability of locating the vehicle to within 282 feet, at 95 percent of the sample points under a wide range of urban and environmental conditions. In the fixed-route tests, an odometer and 15 signposts provided the vehicle's location to within 105 feet at 95 percent of the sample points along a 13-mile route. The time of passage of designated bus schedule 'timepoint' was automatically determined to within 11 seconds 95 percent of the time. Phase I consists of two volumes: Volume I: Test Results contains a description of all test configurations, test procedures, location algorithms, data processing, and test results; Volume II: Appendix contains the test log sheets, test data, and data processing results corresponding to all Phase I tests.
- See also PB-270 951.
Hoffman Information Identification, Incorporated4323 Arden Drive
El Monte, CA USA 91734
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Gruver, G W
- Publication Date: 1977-8
- Pagination: 331 p.
- TRT Terms: Automation; Evaluation; Field tests; Ground vehicles; Information processing; Location; Monitoring; Position fixing; Routes; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Position finding
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00167373
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: RO-77-0026, UMTA-MA-06-0041-77-8
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1237
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 27 2002 12:00AM