A PROCEDURAL GUIDE FOR THE DESIGN OF TRANSIT STATIONS AND TERMINALS. PHASE I. DESIGN OF TRANSPORTATION INTERFACE FACILITIES
The guide provides a synthesis of state-of-the-art concepts regarding the planning, design, and evaluation of passenger transportation stations. The enclosed material directs transportation planning teams to search for efficient station designs. The guide describes the important stages and considerations in a comprehensive terminal analysis methodology. When it is used with the two supplementary research reports, the specific details of the various tasks are given. The guide acknowledges that the transit station design process requires contributions from many disciplines and skills. It assists to coordinate station development programs in accommodating inputs from the disciplines. It further highlights the elements of different stations to assure valid comparisons relative to performance and cost criteria.
- See also report dated February 1976, PB-253 742.
University of Virginia, CharlottesvilleCenter for Transportation Studies, P.O. Box 400742
Charlottesville, VA USA 22904-4742
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Demetsky, M J
- Hoel, L A
- Virkler, Mark R
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Pagination: 78 p.
- TRT Terms: Advertising; Aesthetics; Aged; Automated vehicle control; Bus transportation; City planning; Concessions; Cost engineering; Design; Evaluation; Interfaces; Intermodal terminals; Level of service; Measures of effectiveness; Needs assessment; Parking facilities; Passenger terminals; Passenger traffic; Personal rapid transit; Physically handicapped persons; Planning; Rail transit stations; Railroad stations; Railroad transportation; Structural design; Systems engineering; Traffic flow; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Effectiveness; Passenger flow; Services; Transportation management; User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Automated transit system; Passenger station design; Station design
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Construction; Design; Highways; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00167342
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/TST-77/53 Final Rpt., UVA/529036/CE77/103
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-50233
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 8 1981 12:00AM