GENERAL MODELS FOR LATERAL STABILITY ANALYSES OF RAILWAY FREIGHT VEHICLES
The report presents the development of general analytical models for use in exploring the nature of freight car hunting and for finding means of controlling the hunting behavior. These models result from one aspect of the Freight Car Dynamics research project conducted by Clemson and Arizona State Universities in cooperation with the Association of American Railroads. First, a model of a wheelset with lateral, yaw, and axle torsional degrees of freedom is developed. Secondly, two such wheelsets are included in a general model of a 9 degree of freedom truck that has lateral, yaw, and warp degrees of freedom in addition to relative lateral and yaw motions of the wheelsets with respect to the truck frame. By suitable choices of primary suspension elements, this general model may be specialized to become (1) a roller-bearing freight truck, (2) a plain-bearing freight truck, (3) a roller-bearing truck with primary suspension elements, (4) a passenger truck, (5) a generic model of a freight truck with interconnected wheelsets, or (6) a rigid truck. Finally, two such truck models are combined with a car body that has lateral, yaw, and roll rigid body degrees of freedom plus two degrees of freedom that serve to approximate the first lateral bending and torsional modes. For all three models, the effects of design parameters on the critical speed for hunting are examined.
- Record URL:
- Prepared in cooperation with Association of American Railroads, Chicago, Ill. Technical Center and Arizona State Univ., Tempe. Dept. of Mechanical Engineering. See also PB-252 290.
Clemson UniversityDepartment of Mechanical Engineering
Clemson, SC United States 29631
Washington, DC United States 20590
Arizona State University, TempeDepartment of Mechanical Engineering
Tempe, AZ United States 85281
Chicago, IL United States 60616
- Law, E H
- Hadden, J A
- Cooperrider, N K
- Publication Date: 1977-6-15
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 229 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Constraints; Critical velocity; Degrees of freedom; Design; Dislocation (Geology); Dynamics; Freight cars; Geometry; Hunting (Dynamics); Kinematics; Mathematical models; Railroad cars; Railroad tracks; Stability (Mechanics); Suspension systems; Train track dynamics; Trucks; Vehicle design; Vehicle dynamics; Wheels; Wheelsets (Railroads); Yaw
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral dynamics
- Old TRIS Terms: Critical speed; Freight car design; Freight car dynamics
- Subject Areas: Design; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00167302
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-77/36 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-40018
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 23 1978 12:00AM