SIGNS AND MARKINGS FOR LOW VOLUME RURAL ROADS
Warrants and guidelines for warning and regulatory signs and markings in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) are evaluated for functional, economical, and aesthetical applicability to low volume rural roads. The research involves classifying the types of low volume rural roads and identifying driver information needs on the various classifications. Supplemental guidelines to the MUTCD based on safety, costs, and aesthetics are developed and validated.
- Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices available from Supt. of Docs.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Walton, N E
- Mounce, J M
- Stockton, W R
- Publication Date: 1977-5
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 148 p.
- TRT Terms: Aesthetics; Costs; Guidelines; Highway traffic control; Low volume roads; Road markings; Roads; Rural areas; Traffic control; Traffic regulations; Traffic safety; Traffic signs; Warning systems
- Geographic Terms: Arkansas; Louisiana; Oklahoma; Texas
- Old TRIS Terms: Markers; Traffic marking
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Law; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00167138
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-77- 39 Final Rpt., FCP 31A1-553
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8249
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, ATRI, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 9 1978 12:00AM