ASSESSMENT OF RAILROAD FUEL USE AND EMISSIONS FOR THE REGIONAL AIR POLLUTION STUDY
A methodology has been developed for calculating and reporting fuel use and air pollutant emissions from railroad locomotive activity. The procedure uses automated techniques to report rail activity on a variable-sized grid system. Separate methodologies were developed for the two major types of rail activity - road or line-haul operation and activity within switch yards. The methodology for road locomotives uses a line source concept and synthesizes the rail network by a series of links connecting a system of node points within the study area. The methodology for switch yard operation uses an area source concept. Both methodologies use as a basic unit locomotive horsepower-hours and were programmed to provide an analysis of fuel use and emissions for five criteria pollutants on a grid-by-grid basis as well as for the entire study area.
- See report dated May 74, PB-235 736.
Abcor, IncorporatedWalden Research Division, 341 Vassar Street
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
Environmental Protection AgencyOffice of Air Quality Planning and Standards
Research Triangle Park, NC United States 27709
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Wiltsee, K W
- Khanna, S B
- Hanson, J C
- Publication Date: 1977-4
- Pagination: 95 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Assessments; Carbon monoxide; Computer programming; Computer programs; Concentration (Chemistry); Diesel engine exhaust gases; Diesel fuels; Diesel locomotives; Environmental impacts; Exhaust gases; Forecasting; Fuel consumption; Fuels; Hydrocarbons; Inventory; Line haul; Locomotives; Mathematical models; Nitric oxide; Nitrogen oxides; Numerical analysis; Particles; Quality assurance; Railroads; Regional planning; Sulfur oxides; Switching; Yard operations
- Old TRIS Terms: Air pollution forecasting; Locomotive fuels
- Subject Areas: Energy; Environment; Finance; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00167136
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA/450/3-77/025
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-02-1895
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 9 1977 12:00AM